Have you ever noticed that the word stressed spelled backwards spells desserts? Think of the last time you had a really good dessert. You slowed down, savored the flavor and enjoyed it.
In recognition of Mental Health Month, I am encouraging you to add a little dessert to your day as an effort to reduce stress. Not the high caloric type but the type that adds positive life skills to your every day life.
Here are some examples of what you can do:
- Get up earlier each morning and spend some time in reflection or meditation-End your day in the same way.
- Practice stretching, yoga or relaxation skills.
- Evaluate your daily schedule-have you overbooked yourself so that you won’t have a feeling of accomplishment?
- Schedule time with friends who are supportive.
- Put healthy food and nutrients in your body.
- Laugh! Watch a funny movie, read some jokes or watch something you know will help you smile.
- Be mindful of nature and the changes around you. Did you see the tulips coming up, or the waterfall…? Slow down and take all of these things in.
- Conduct spring cleaning with negative relationships in your life. Surround yourself with an affirming environment.