Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can occur in people of any age. It can occur after you have seen or experienced a traumatic event that involved the threat of injury or death.
It can follow:
- A natural disaster (tornado, earthquake, tsunami, etc.)
- Assault, Domestic Violence, rape
- Reliving the event which disturbs day to day activity
- Avoidance responses such as feeling numb, detached, avoiding places, people or thoughts that remind you of the event
- Increased arousal response, where you startle easily, are more hyper vigilant, feel irritable and are having more anger outbursts
If you or someone you know are experiencing any of these symptoms please contact a therapist to have these symptoms assessed.